Taraba releases N101m for UNICEF supported health, education programmes

Dr Abdulai Kaikai, Chief Field Officer, UNICEF Field Office Bauchi, has confirmed the release of N101 million counterpart fund by Taraba Government for UNICEF-supported health and education programmes in the State.
Kaikai confirmed the release of the fund at a two-day mid-year review meeting on the implementation of Taraba Government/UNICEF programme for the first half of 2016 in Jalingo on Saturday.

This is our first joint review in Taraba since UNICEF adopted a new planning process of aligning with the state planning process.

Through this process, UNICEF has capitalised on the strength and comparative advantages of the different MDAs toward increasing the UNICEF-supported activities’ impact through coherent and accountability of implementing agencies’’, he said.
Represented by Mr Drissa Yeo, Head, Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene Projects Bauchi Field Office, Abdulai said UNICEF was currently providing support to Taraba in two thematic areas.

He gave the areas as maternal and neo-natal child health and polio as well as basic education.

These programmes are consistent with priorities of the state and federal government’s emphasis on implementing Paris Declaration, Accra Agenda for Action and Busan recommendations for effective development assistance.’’

He commended the high-level of commitment of the state and encouraged it to continue to provide counterpart funding for the benefit of children in the area.

Commissioner for Health in Taraba, Dr Innocent Vakai thanked international partners especially UNICEF and the WHO, for their continued support toward the promotion of quality healthcare services in the state.

He assured that the state would continue to provide the enabling environment that would improve the quality of life for the people.

Executive Secretary of Taraba Primary Healthcare Development Agency, Alhaji Aminu Hassan, said the state was making efforts to provide one primary health care facility in the 167 wards across the state.

He said the agency trained personnel for the implementation of the UNICEF-assisted Polio Eradication and Strengthening Healthcare in popularly called “hard to reach communities.’’

He explained that 350 “hard to reach’’ settlements’’ had been identified and covered under the programme within the first half of the year.

Advertisements

2 Nigerians killed in South Africa again.

The President of the Nigerian Union in South Africa, Ikechukwu Anyene, has confirmed that two Nigerians were killed in Johannesburg, Gauteng Province.
Anyene told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Sunday in Port Harcourt in a telephone interview from Pretoria that the two men were killed on Friday, July 29, at different areas of Johannesburg.

President Muhammadu Buhari and President Jacob Zuma of South-Africa
He said that the first victim, Gideon Ogalaonye, an indigene of Onitsha, Anambra, was allegedly shot dead at 7 p.m. while on a visit to the residence of his daughters.

He said that the second victim, Nnamdi Michael, an indigene of Enugu state, was allegedly stabbed to death by a Zimbabwean national at Yeoville at 8 p.m on the same day.

Anyene said witnesses said the assailant first demanded money from Michael, which was not given and later attempted to forcefully remove his phone.

He said the assailant stabbed the victim, adding that Nigerians at the scene pursued and arrested him.

Anyene said: “The Zimbabwean has been handed over to the police and we will follow the case.

“The two incidents have been reported to the Nigerian mission in South Africa and the South African police.

“The Nigerian community in South Africa are not happy with the killings.

“We urge the Federal government to persuade its South African counterpart to investigate and prosecute incidents of killings of Nigerians in that country.

“We are getting worried about these incessant killings and we want the culprits prosecuted.”

NAN recalls that Ikejiaku Chinedu, a 35 year-old Nigerian businessman, was killed on July 26 at Mokopane town, Limpopo Province by operatives of a private security firm.

Banker shoots self dead to evade alleged fraud

A 44-year- old banker, Olisa Nwakobi, has shot himself dead, over an alleged fruad case in the bank.
We reliably  gathered that the deceased  worked as a marketer in the Jakande, Lekki , Lagos branch of one of the second generation banks.

He was alleged to have done an illegal transaction of over three million naira in connivance with one of the bank staff last Thursday.

But the buble burst after a red flag was reportedly raised on the custormer’s account where the amount was withdrawn from.

Sources at the bank said that the bank’s Operation  Group Internal Audit carried out  investigation on the illegal trasaction in the process of which it was linked  to Nwokobi.

Rather than appear before the panel of investigative team, from where he would be handed over to the Police, news reached the office next day that he had shot himself .

It was gathered that he committed the act in front of Our Lady Star of the Sea church in Northern Foreshore estate, Lekki. A collague who spoke on condition of annonimity said ” the news came to us as a shock. Olisa had worked here for over 10 years. What actually happened was that he withdrew over 350 Million naira in connivance with the cash officer .

They used the money to buy foreign currencies in the name of the bank and in turn sold to bureau de change operators and road side dealers in mint naira notes  who ordinarily cant buy from the Central Bank of Nigeria because only banks can buy.

What some bankers do is to withdraw money from customers accounts which they would use to buy the foreign currencies and make refunds to the accounts before the end of the day.

“But on this day, they were unable to balance the account before the end of the day and a red flag was raised on the transaction to find out where,when, why,how and who withdrew such amount.

We suspect he committed suicide out of fear or shame that the deal had been exposed. But he should have at least restrained from taking such deadly action and face the legal consequence”.

A silver American pistol which he used to shoot himself in the head was found on the spot by policemen.

Some residents around the area who expressed shock over the incident said the sound of the gun shot alerted them.A men who gave his name as Nmaduabuchi Eze said ” Nobody saw where he came out from. 

We only heard the gun shot. Nobody could go near him because we were all afraid. We had to contact the police who later came to the scene.

JAMB withdraws 2016 admission list

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) yesterday said it has withdrawn the list of recommended candidates for admission earlier sent to the tertiary institutions.
In a statement issued in Abuja and signed by Head of Media, Dr. Fabian Benjamin, he said the withdrawal is to ensure the university senate perform its statutory responsibility.

‎The statement reads ; “This is to ensure that the University Senate perform its statutory responsibility of conducting the selection of candidates and refer it to JAMB for confirmation in line with the admission criteria of merit, catchment and educationally disadvantaged states as directed by the Hon Minister of Education at the policy committee meeting.

“The earlier list was sent to help fast track the process of admission so as to allow other tiers of institutions also conduct their admission.

“Candidates should not panic because this is part of the process of the 2016 admission exercise. JAMB regrets any inconvenience this decision would have caused the tertiary institutions

“The Board regrets any inconvenience it’s proactive step would have caused the tertiary institutions”.

Support FG/militants dialogue, CEPEJ urges security agencies

THE Centre for Peace and Environmental Justice, CEPEJ, a non-governmental organization in Warri, Delta State, has called on the Nigerian Army, Navy and Department of State Service, DSS, to uphold the peace talks between the Federal Government and militants and stop further threats of use of force to give confidence to the people.

CEPEJ in a statement by its national coordinator, Sheriff Mulade, said: “It is pertinent to state that any attempt at invading, harassing, intimidating and arresting residents of innocent communities in the region will be seen as betrayal of trust from government’s security agents.”

It said: “We call on all stakeholders to genuinely support President Muhammadu Buhari to save our dwindling economy and devastated environment. Force for force will cause more violence and damage the already depleted economy.”

The group urged government to show genuine commitment and seriousness towards achieving positive results from the dialogue, rather than making it a political jamboree.”

“CEPEJ strongly cautions militants in the region, particularly Adaka Boro Avengers, ABA, to abort their alleged plan to declare Niger Delta Republic, which is not the primary interest of the people. Their primary interests are development and remediation of the devastated environment,” the group stated.

APC wins Kano by-election

It was a sweet victory for Kano chapter of All Progressive Congress during a weekend by-election following a landslide victory against all comers in the constituency election.
Announcing the hotly contested election the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) declared Tasi’u Ibrahim of the All Progressives Congress as the winner of the state House of Assembly bye-election in Minjibir.

The returning Officer, Professor Abu Mohammed, said that the APC candidate polled 21, 970 votes to defeat 14 other contestants.

Professor Muhammad disclosed that , Auwalu Ubale of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) who was purported to have withdrawn from the race came a distant second with 1, 238 votes.

The Returning officer who was overwhelmed by the peaceful conduct of the election thumbed up for Stakeholders for their cooperation and understanding throughout the election period.

He also commended security personnel deployed to the area to maintain peace for their efforts toward ensuring peace.

The weekend election at Minjibir was botched last April 30 b due to security challenges midway through the election that raised political temperature in the state.

Kogi jailbreak : 2 robbery convicts among inmates on the run

Two armed robbery convicts and 11 awaiting trial suspects were among the 13 inmates who escaped from Koton Karfe prison in Kogi in the early hours of Saturday.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) learnt that the inmates in one of the cells in the prison dug a big hole in the wall of their cell to aid their escape.

An authoritative source at the prison told NAN correspondent on Sunday that armed and conventional squads of the Nigeria Prison Service had launched manhunt to re-arrest the fleeing inmates.

The source added that the prison authority had also contacted the police to assist it in tracking down the inmates some of who are facing trial for capital offences.

The 180-capacity all male prison facility inaugurated in 2014 had a population of 263 inmates as at the time of the latest jailbreak.

Some residents of Koton Karfe who spoke to NAN expressed shock at the incident.

They insisted that the inmates could not have dug a big hole in the concrete wall of their cell without being aided and abetted.

The state Controller of prison, Mr Musa Maza, has been avoiding the media since the incident by ignoring phone calls made to him.